Welcome

Welcome to my blog. One day I was sitting here thinking wouldn't it be great to have a place where people could post recipes. I know that I am always looking for easy and fun recipes especially for children. Hope this helps more than just me! So, send me recipes and I will post them....the more the better this blog can be....or if you have ideas, let me know (ex:tuna or beef) I will find something and post it.



Monday, May 16, 2011

Shrimp and Cheese Grits

1 1/2 cups quick- cooking grits
One 12oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 5 oz)
5 scallions, white and green portions thinly sliced separately
salt and pepper
6 slices of bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
1lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined

1. In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups of water and evaporated milk to a boil.  Lower the heat to med-low, stir in grits, partially cover and simmer, stirring, until just thickened, about 15 mins.  Remove from heat, stir in cheese and three-quaterse of the scallion greens, season with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm. 

2. While grits are cooking, in a large skillet, cook bacon over med-high heat until almost crisp, about 8 mins.  Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and stir into the pan along with the scallion whites; cook until the shrimp is opaque, about 3 mins.

3. Divide the grits among bowls and pour shrimp mixture over the top.  Sprinkle with remaining scallions.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! YUM! yum! YUM! Yum! Did I say, "Yum!"? I hardly ever cook using salt, but the grits do need much more than I expected (maybe even 1-2 teaspoons). And this is even better the next day for lunch!! Thanks Lanie! -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete